Thursday 17 November 2011

Sizzle not the Sausage

Incase you didn't know, i do a lot of production as my role at Heart Bristol & Somerset. Most of this is SPI promos -for competitions and alike with clients. I hear so many promos and commercials on the radio that forget the most important line i have ever been told...

"Sell the sizzle not the sausage"

Tell someone why this is so cool in a way that MEANS SOMETHING to them...Yeah the car has 4doors but why should i care? It's all about how easy it is to get all the kids and the shopping into the car at the Supermarket....Or if you're selling an engagement ring it's not about how big it is, it's the look she'll have on her face when you get down on one knee to pop the question.

Adverts that are the worst for not selling the sizzle always use cliches like...'But wait there's more'...'You won't believe it'...or 'for a limited time only'. It doesn't grab me, it means nothing to me. Be clear and honest and tell me the honest benefits.

Here's some adverts (albeit TV adverts) that have inspired me recently, i think these are literally the best examples of selling the sizzle i have recently seen/heard...



No comments: